Frequently Asked Questions
- What is MAT?
MAT is a master’s degree program for people possessing an undergraduate degree with significant coursework in the subject you wish to teach, or who are current teachers wishing to earn a master’s degree. After the initial summer training, participants are certified teachers and can teach grades 7-12 in Mississippi. Upon completion of the two-year program, participants receive a Master of Arts in Teaching degree and their license converts to a 5-year regular license.
- Who is eligible to apply?
Anyone possessing an undergraduate degree may apply. This includes those who are currently certified teachers.
- What are the goals of the program?
- To provide certification and support to participants as they teach and earn a master’s degree.
- To provide quality teachers for the state of Mississippi.
- What are the requirements?
The requirements can be found here.
- Is the Praxis II required?
Yes. You have to pass the Praxis II in math, science, English or social studies. It may be possible to add supplemental endorsements for other subjects.
- Is the GRE required?
No. The Praxis II requirement replaces the GRE requirement.
- When is the application deadline?
April 1st, 2017. Click here for the application.
- When does the program begin?
The program begins May 30th, 2017
- What are the advantages/incentives for students who are in this program?
- Students can become licensed teachers after the initial summer training and can pursue employment to teach grades 7-12 at any school in Mississippi.
- There are scholarship opportunities for students who meet certain criteria.
- What sources of scholarship funding are available for students?
- Noyce can provide up to $20,000 a year for up to a total of three years for teachers of math and science. Email April Kilpatrick for more information on this.
- The state of Mississippi provides a scholarship for people who are interested in becoming teachers.
- What does the program cost?
Estimated tuition cost for summer course work (necessary for licensure): $2,600
Estimated total tuition cost for the entire program (36 credit hours): $15,600
- What can I do if I have a question?
Please reach out to us by using this link.