Beginning participants must have:
- An undergraduate degree with significant coursework in the subject you wish to teach.
- 3.0 GPA overall or on last 60 hours of undergraduate work.
- 21 ACT composite score, or 990 SAT composite score, or passing scores on the Praxis Core test (Reading: 156, Writing: 162, Math 150). More info can be found below.
- Passing score on the Praxis II test in the subject area you wish to teach. The Praxis II test must be passed before beginning coursework. More info can be found below.
- Writing sample that responds to the following prompt:
- What do you view as the greatest need in education and what characteristics do you possess that would allow you to address this need?
- What would you like to have accomplished after five years in the teaching profession?
- Pass Transcript Analysis
- The Transcript Analysis requirements will be based on Specialized Professional Association (SPA) recommendations for required content area preparation. If an applicant does not pass the transcript analysis, the applicant can still be conditionally admitted and a plan for remediation will be developed with the program coordinator.
Participants must have a valid social security number and provide the Mississippi Department of Education with proof of lawful presence in the US.
* You can apply (and be conditionally accepted) to the program before taking Praxis exams. You must pass all of the Praxis requirements before beginning coursework.
Praxis Core Test:
Participants who have an ACT composite score of 21 or higher, or an SAT composite score of 990 or higher do not need to take the Praxis Core. The Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Test is a set of three general knowledge exams administered by Educational Testing Services (ETS). The test is comprised of three sections: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. The three areas of the Praxis core are listed below:
|Section||CDT Code||Qualifying Score|
|Core Academic Skills for Combined Test: Reading||5712||156|
|Core Academic Skills for Combined Test: Writing||5722||162|
|Core Academic Skills for Combined Test: Mathematics||5732||150|
Praxis II Test:
The Praxis II is a content-area exam and you should sign-up for the content-area you are most interested in teaching. MAT accepts Praxis II exams for the following subject areas listed at this link.